State Senator Dave Craig (R-Big Bend) has announced he will not seek reelection to the state Senate. He is (by our count) the eighth member of the 33-member state Senate that will not be back next session, including four Democrats and four Republicans.
The GOP currently holds the Senate majority by an 18 to 13 margin with two vacancies.
Sen. Craig joins several of his colleagues in likely not returning for various reasons:
- Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau, running for Congress);
- Minority Leader Jennifer Shilling (D-La Crosse, resigned-seat currently vacant);
- Education Committee Chair Luther Olsen (R-Ripon, retiring);
- Sen. Tom Tiffany (R-Minocqua, elected to Congress; resigned-seat currently vacant);
- Sen. Mark Miller (D-Monona, retiring);
- Sen. Fred Risser (D-Madison, retiring);
- Sen. Dave Hanson (D-Green Bay, retiring).