School Board Elections: Resources
- The Wisconsin Elections Commission has issued guidance on April 10 regarding the availability of elections materials and the timing of school district board of canvassers meetings. The key points for school districts are as follows:
- The Elections Commission is directing school district boards of canvassers to begin their canvass no later than 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, April 16.
- School district boards of canvassers do not need to meet on Tuesday April 14; and, in most cases, it will be impractical to attempt to schedule and hold a school district canvass on the 14th. This is due to uncertainty about the specific time that elections materials will be available from the municipal clerks.
- It should be possible for many school districts to receive elections materials from municipal clerks by end of day on Tuesday, April 14. In some cases, the materials may not be available until April 15.
- Depending on information that school districts receive from their municipal clerks about the municipal processes, it may be most practical to schedule the school district board of canvassers meeting either for some time on Wednesday, April 15 or for the morning of Thursday, April 16 (starting at no later than 9:00 a.m.).
- WASB’s School Board Elections Considerations Related to COVID-19. This resource addresses common topics of interest related to the school district administration of the election, including the canvass, oaths of office, and more. (last revised on 4/10/2020 to address Elections Commission guidance regarding canvassing deadlines)
These publications are designed to provide general information, with commentary, as a service to WASB members and school board candidates. The publications should not be relied upon as legal advice. If required, legal advice regarding the topics in the publications should be obtained from the district’s legal counsel or a candidate’s personal attorney.
Wisconsin Elections and Ethics Commissions Resources
- Election Administration Manual
- Elections Commission Forms
- Ballot Access Checklist for School Board Candidates
- Campaign Finance Overview for Local Candidates (manual)
- Ethics Commission Forms (select “Form” in “Document Type”)
- Campaign Finance Checklist for School Board Candidates (NEW! 2020 Election)