2021-23 State Budget
Capitol Chat Update
Going forward, we will not be holding the Capitol Chat every week as we did during the budget process.
Thank you for your efforts during the budget process.
- 7/8 – Gov. Evers signs budget; announces additional $100 million in one-time federal funds for schools
- 7/1 – Senate approves budget on bipartisan vote; next up: Gov. Evers
- 6/30 – State budget passes Assembly on bipartisan vote; Senate to vote today
- 6/18 – Statement: State budget committee secures federal education funding, minimizes state dollars going to the classroom
- 6/18 – Budget Committee’s K-12 Proposal Secures Federal Funding, Freezes Revenue Limits
- 6/14 – Week ahead: Both education committees hold hearings before final JFC action on state budget
WASB Member Letters/Resolutions
Advocacy Resources for Social Media
Sample social media graphics (Click each graphic to see a larger version, then click “Save image as…” and share on Facebook or Twitter).
Use the hashtag #InvestWiKids to help your message be shared by other public school advocates.
Twitter Graphics to Share:
Facebook Graphics to Share:
Facebook Cover Image
WASB Legislative Update Posts
- 6/18-Statement: State budget committee secures federal education funding, minimizes state dollars going to the classroom
- 6/18-Budget Committee’s K-12 Proposal Secures Federal Funding, Freezes Revenue Limits
- 6/14-Week ahead: Both education committees hold hearings before final JFC action on state budget
- 6/10-LFB: $2.3 Billion in federal relief funding at risk
- 6/9-Feds release maintenance of equity guidance for ESSER III funds
- 6/9-WASB, SAA, WiRSA, SWSA joint statement on new state revenue
- 6/8-LFB: State now expects $4.4 BILLION more in tax revenue than previous estimates
- 6/7-WSJ: Republicans shouldn’t risk $1.5B for Wisconsin schools
- 6/2-If WI fails to qualify, federal K-12 COVID relief funds will go to schools in other states
- 6/1-WSJ: Feds warn WI lawmakers about deficient state funding for K-12 education
- 5/28-John Ashley statement on JFC K-12 budget proposal
- 5/27-JFC approves education funding plan
- 5/20-Budget committee schedules K-12 funding vote for next week; budget papers released
- 5/20-Budget committee postpones vote on broadband
- 5/17-Budget committee scheduled to take up broadband grants funding on Thursday
- 5/10-How might last Thursday’s JFC actions impact K-12 education?
- 5/3-JFC to begin budget votes this week
- 3/8-Budget bill aims to curb teen smoking, vaping
- 3/3-Governor’s proposed budget eyes significant changes to school employee benefits
- 3/1-Gov’s plan on “meal shaming,” funds for school breakfast
- 2/19-Gov’s plan on sparsity aid, pupil transportation, English learner aid, supplemental nutrition aid, grants for replacement of mascots
- 2/17-Gov. Evers budget proposal meets key WASB priorities
- 2/17-John Ashley statement on Gov. Evers budget