The Joint Committee on Finance (JFC) will meet in Executive Session to vote on K-12 education funding in the 2019-21 state budget on Thursday, May 23, 2019, at 11:00 a.m. The meeting will be held in Room 412 East, State Capitol. View meeting notice.
The committee will work from budget papers (see below) prepared by the non-partisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau (LFB). Those budget papers deal with specific subjects–e.g., revenue limit adjustments, per pupil categorical aid, special education categorical aid, etc. The budget papers provide background information and typically lay out a series of alternatives for the committee to consider on each topic.
The JFC may also work from motions prepared by the LFB at the request of individual members of the committee. Those motions are generally not made available to the public until the time of the vote.
Budget papers have been posted under the broad topic categories listed below (in bold). Click on the links blow to view papers on specific issues.
Public Instruction — General School Aids and Revenue Limits
- State Support for K-12 Education
- Buyback of Current Law General School Aid Payment Delay
- Two-Thirds Funding of Partial School Revenues
- Reallocate High Poverty Aid to General School Aids Appropriation and Weighting Economically Disadvantaged Pupils in Property Values
- Special Adjustment Aid
- Minimum Aid
- Secondary Cost Ceiling
- Hold Harmless Aid
Public Instruction — Categorical Aids
- Special Education Aids
- Mental Health Programs
- Bilingual-Bicultural Aids
- Sparsity Aid
- Personal Electronic Computing Device Grants
- School Breakfast and School Day Milk Programs
- High Cost Transportation Aid
- After-School and Out-of-School-Time Program Grants
- Gifted and Talented Grants
- Urban School District Initiatives
- Milwaukee Mathematics Partnership
- Delete School Performance Improvement Grants
- Minority Teacher Grant Program
- Water Filtration Grants
Public Instruction — Choice, Charter, and Open Enrollment
- Milwaukee Private School Choice Program Funding
- Choice, Charter, and Open Enrollment Payment Indexing Mechanism
- Open Enrollment Aid Transfer Amount — Special Education
- Dual Enrollment
Public Instruction — Administrative and Other Funding
Generally, budget papers are posted 72 hours prior to each executive session. You can find them here.