As we previously posted, the Assembly education committee was scheduled to hold a public hearing on seven bills related to reading instruction and dyslexia. Those bills have been pulled from the agenda, while another bill has been added. Assembly Bill 849, authored by education committee chair Rep. Jeremy Thiesfeldt (R-Fond du Lac) & Sen. Alberta Darling (R-River Hills), expands the part-time open enrollment program and renames it the course choice program. The expansion would bring in additional educational institutions and expand the number of grades that may participate from just high school to grades 1-12 (see our previous post).
The Assembly Committee on Education will now hold a public hearing on Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 9:46 AM in room 412 East, State Capitol. The public hearing will begin immediately following a committee vote on Assembly Bill 737. The committee will take testimony on the following bills:
Assembly Bill 849 Relating to: expanding the part-time open enrollment program.
By Representatives Thiesfeldt, Kulp, Fields, Ballweg, Dittrich, Felzkowski, Jagler, Knodl, Sanfelippo, Skowronski, Spiros, Steineke, Tusler, Hutton and Wichgers; cosponsored by Senators Darling, Kooyenga and Craig.
Assembly Bill 810 Relating to: creating a computerized uniform school budget and accounting system.
By Representatives Felzkowski, Magnafici, Ballweg, Born, Brandtjen, Dittrich, Duchow, Edming, Gundrum, Hutton, Jagler, James, Katsma, Krug, Kuglitsch, Loudenbeck, Murphy, Petryk, Plumer, Rodriguez, Sanfelippo, Skowronski, Sortwell, Steineke, Tauchen and Tusler; cosponsored by Senators Darling, Bernier, Craig, Kapenga, Kooyenga and Stroebel.
Assembly Bill 779 Relating to: participation in interscholastic athletics and extracurricular activities.
By Representatives Allen, Kulp, Brandtjen, Duchow, Edming, Magnafici, Mursau, Pronschinske, Ramthun, Thiesfeldt, Wichgers, Gundrum, Skowronski, Loudenbeck, Felzkowski and Ballweg; cosponsored by Senators Petrowski, Nass and Kapenga.
- 02/03/2020: The meeting time was changed from 02/06/2020 09:01 AM to 02/06/2020 09:46 AM. The top notes were changed.
- 02/03/2020: The location was changed to 412 East.
- 02/03/2020: AB849 was added to the list of items to be heard.
- 02/03/2020: AB635 was removed from the list of items to be heard.
- 02/03/2020: AB632 was removed from the list of items to be heard.
- 02/03/2020: AB604 was removed from the list of items to be heard.
- 02/03/2020: AB603 was removed from the list of items to be heard.
- 02/03/2020: AB601 was removed from the list of items to be heard.
- 02/03/2020: AB595 was removed from the list of items to be heard.
- 02/03/2020: AB594 was removed from the list of items to be heard.