The Joint Finance Committee (JFC) has scheduled an executive session on K-12 education funding for next week Thursday, May 27 at 11am. Legislative Fiscal Bureau (LFB) budget papers have been released as well. Links to the papers are below. If you haven’t contacted your state legislators on your budget needs, you are running out of time.
The LFB prepares budget papers for each agency that comes before the committee to help frame the discussion. These papers include background and discussion points on each issue with helpful context of past practices in Wisconsin and other states. The papers then end with alternatives for funding levels for the committee’s consideration. The JFC is not beholden to the alternatives presented by the LFB, however. Sometimes they bypass the budget papers and bring forward a completely different motion. This is what has usually happened with K-12 funding in the past.
- Public Instruction — General School Aids and Revenue Limits
- Public Instruction — Categorical Aids
- Public Instruction — Choice, Charter, and Open Enrollment
- Public Instruction — School Operations and Curriculum
- Public Instruction — Administrative and Other Funding