Executive Director Job Posting
The Wisconsin Association of School Boards, which supports 421 public school districts in WI on a $4 million annual budget, is seeking an Executive Director to lead our organization. The successful candidate will have the background, skills, and abilities necessary to lead a well-established, non-partisan membership organization dedicated to advancing excellence in public education and equity for each and every student. As a result, the Board seeks a candidate who is:
- An experienced leader who possesses high moral and ethical standards, integrity, combined with a demonstrated track record of results. The successful candidate must understand how to develop and implement strategic and operational plans and manage an effective and financially sustainable organization. The Executive Director is also responsible for leadership direction in the day-to-day operations of WASB and ensuring staff compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations as well as all WASB policies and procedures.
- Energetic and able to simultaneously manage multiple projects involving many people. This role has a travel requirement both in/out of state approximately 50% of the time. The remaining 50% is headquartered in our Madison, WI office.
- A strong communicator and relationship builder who embraces the inherent complexity of education in Wisconsin and can effectively promote the value of non-partisan school boards to the media, elected officials, and K-12 partners. The Executive Director must be able to engage, inspire, collaborate, listen, and value the opinion of others. Strong negotiation skills and the ability to present complex information clearly, accurately, and transparently are required.
- Familiar with differing governance models and preferably has experience working for a Board of Directors who serves as an organization’s strategic governing body. The successful candidate must understand the differing iterations of governing by policy and boards governing by bylaws and rules of order. The Executive Director must have demonstrated ability to develop a sound working relationship with the Board of Directors and guide the organization’s mission and vision as defined by the Board.
Interested candidates should submit letter of interest, resume, three references and written answers to the questions below to “EXDSearch@wasb.org“
- Question 1: Why are you interested in this position?
- Question 2: What do you see as the major issues affecting public education today?
- Question 3: How will you inspire trust and positive working relationships between our members, WASB staff and the state legislature?
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Initial review of resumes will begin Friday, March 24th.
Virtual and in-person interviews will be conducted. Ultimately, the full WASB Board of Directors (15 Directors) will interview final candidates on Friday, April 21st.
Anticipated start date is July 1st.